John D. Stiner
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Contact: Contact Me
John Stiner is an experienced trial lawyer. He has represented businesses and individuals in a wide array of lawsuits throughout the country.
In particular, his work for clients has centered on high value real estate litigation, representing lenders, including traditional banks as well as special servicers, and borrowers, as their lead attorney in commercial mortgage foreclosures, bankruptcy, workouts, and guaranty litigation. For example, Mr. Stiner represented the lender in the bankruptcy, workout, and foreclosure and resolution of Oklahoma City’s oldest shopping mall, and represented the borrower in the foreclosure of Oklahoma City’s largest shopping mall. He has also represented lenders and loan servicers in defensive residential foreclosure litigation as well as UCC foreclosures, ad valorem tax disputes, and similar issues relating to distressed assets.
In addition, Mr. Stiner has devoted a substantial portion of his practice to representing nationwide franchisors successfully in numerous franchise termination lawsuits. In addition, he has represented energy companies in disputes with individuals and other energy companies, and prior to law school, worked as an Assistant Party Manager for a geophysical exploration company, which afforded him insight into the mechanics of surface damages lawsuits and, in particular, those relating to 3-D seismic work. He has also defended oil and gas service companies in personal injury lawsuits.
Mr. Stiner regularly represents businesses and individuals in a host of other business litigation matters, including contract disputes, business torts, and other financial disputes and bad faith insurance litigation.
Mr. Stiner also served on and is particularly proud of his work with a trial team which was successful in obtaining not guilty verdicts on all counts in a white-collar criminal case brought against the chief executive of a national laboratory company.
Areas of Practice
- 100% Business Litigation
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Oklahoma, 1998
- University of Oklahoma College of Law, Norman, Oklahoma
- J.D. – 1998
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Honors: Recipient, Frank J. Love Memorial Scholarship
- Honors: Kerr-McGee Scholar
- Law Review: Oklahoma Law Review, Note Editor
- Georgetown University, Washington
- B.S.F.S. – 1993
- Major: Foreign Service
- Concurrent Alter-Ego Claims: Oklahoma Leads the Nation in Extending Protection to Shareholders, Officers and Directors, 85, Okla. B.J. 8., Mar. 15, 2014
- Undersecured Loans Protecting Your Rights in Chapter 11 Bankruptcies , Okla Banker, July, 2011
- Shaffo v. Jeffery : The Oklahoma Supreme Court Rejects the Separability Doctrine and Takes a Step Back in the Enforcement of Arbitration Clauses Under Oklahoma Law , SO OKLA . L. REV. 243, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Kerr. Mc Gee Scholar
- Harry Alley-Leroy Allen Prize for Best Case Note
- Frank J. Love Memorial Scholarship